About Me

My photo
I am a Canadian Immigration Agent

Friday 24 September 2010

Canada Immigration Questions (FAQ)


|

Find Answers to all your Canada Immigration Questions.

For ease of use, we have divided our Canada Immigration FAQ in two sections: General, which provides answers to Canada immigration questions relevant to all Canada immigration categories; and Specific, which provides answers to Canada immigration questions relevant to particular Canada immigration categories.

General Canada Immigration Questions
  1. Introduction to Canada Immigration
    • What is a Canada Immigration (Permanent Resident) Visa?
    • How is a Work Permit different from a Canada Immigration Visa?
    • Can I apply for Permanent Resident status and temporary status (Work Permit/Study Permit/Temporary Resident Visa) at the same time?
    • Is my immigration status relevant for Canada Immigration purposes?
    • I have heard that Canada Immigration Regulations will be changing. How will I be affected?
    • Is there a benefit to using an attorney for immigration to Canada?
    • How do I retain Campbell, Cohen to represent me for Canada Immigration purposes?
       
  2. Eligibility and Qualifications
    • Who qualifies for a Canada Immigration Visa?
    • Who can I include in my application for a Canada Immigration Visa?
    • Are there special immigration procedures for different provinces in Canada?
    • How do I find out if I qualify for immigration to Canada?
       
  3. Canadian Government Fees and Application Costs
    • Does the Canadian government charge a fee for submitting a Canadian Immigration Application?
    • When do I pay Canadian government fees?
    • In what currency must I pay the Canadian government fees?
    • What is the Right of Permanent Resident Fee (RPRF)?
    • If I am already in Canada, do I still have to pay the Right of Permanent Resident Fee?
    • Are there any other fees or costs associated with the Canadian Immigration application process?
       
  4. Canadian Immigration Application Process
    • Where can my application for a Canada Immigration Visa be submitted?
    • What documents should be submitted in support of my application for Permanent Residence in Canada?
    • When must I submit the supporting documentation?
    • In what language must my supporting documentation be submitted?
    • Can my file be transferred from one Canadian Immigration Visa Office to another?
    • How long does the Canadian Immigration application process take?
    • What is meant by the "locked-in" date?
       
  5. Medical Examinations
    • Will I have to take a medical exam?
    • How long are medical examinations valid for? 
    • Will my application be rejected if I have a certain disease or disorder?
    • Which medical conditions may cause me to be inadmissible to Canada?
    • Are there any exceptions made for medically inadmissible dependents?
    • If I am pregnant, will I still have to undergo the medical examination?
    • Can my dependents undergo the medical examination in another country?
    • Will my non-accompanying dependents be required to complete medical examinations?
    • Recently, I completed medical examinations for my Canadian Temporary Resident Visa/Work Permit/Study Permit. Must I complete additional medical exams for my permanent resident application?  
       
  6. Security Clearance
    • What is a Police Certificate?
    • When must I submit the Police Certificate?
    • How do I obtain a Police Clearance Certificate? 
    • Can I omit a Police Certificate from one or more countries?
    • What is a background clearance?
    • What kind of criminal history would cause me to be inadmissible to Canada?
    • What is criminality?
    • What is serious criminality?
    • What is a hybrid offence?
    • May I still enter Canada if I am criminally inadmissible?
    • How do I qualify for deemed rehabilitation?
    • How do I qualify for individual rehabilitation?
    • If I cannot qualify for rehabilitation, are there any other options available if I need to enter Canada with a criminally inadmissible record?
       
  7. Work in Canada
    • Is a job offer required to immigrate to Canada under the Skilled Worker/ Professional category?
    • What is a "job offer" within the context of Canadian immigration?
    • Are there different types of job offers that a Canadian employer can make?
    • Can I apply for a Temporary Work Permit and a Canada Immigration (Permanent Resident) Visa?
    • What are the advantages of obtaining a permanent job offer from a Canadian employer?
    • What are the advantages of obtaining a temporary job offer from a Canadian employer?
    • Is there any disadvantage to obtaining a Canadian job offer?
    • Is it difficult to find a good job in Canada?
    • What services do you provide to help me find work in Canada?
       
  8. Study in Canada
    • How do I obtain a Study Permit for Canada?
    • What if I want to study in Quebec?
    • How long is my Study Permit valid for?
    • Can I work while studying in Canada?
    • What is an Off-Campus Work Permit?
    • Who is eligible for an Off-Campus Work Permit?
    • How do I know if my institution is participating in the program?
    • What is satisfactory academic standing?
    • Who is not eligible for an Off-Campus Work Permit?
       
  9. Landing in Canada as a Permanent Resident
    • Do I become a Permanent Resident of Canada as soon as my Canada Immigration Visa is issued?
    • How long can I wait to come to Canada after my Canada Immigration Visa is issued?
    • Can the expiry date on my Canadian Canada Immigration Visa be extended?
    • Must I first enter Canada at the destination I indicated on my application form?
    • What documents do I need with me when I first land Canada?
    • When must my accompanying dependents land Canada?
       
  10. After Landing in Canada as a Permanent Resident
    • Must I stay in Canada after landing in Canada as a Permanent Resident?
    • What is the Canadian Permanent Resident Card?
    • When can Canadian Citizenship be obtained?
    • Does Permanent Residence status in Canada permit me to enter/work in the US?
    • What is the job-market like in Canada?
       
  11. Settlement in Canada
    • When I arrive in Canada, are there any services to help me?
    • How do I obtain Health Care?
    • What do I need to do to start working in Canada?
    • How do I become a Canadian Citizen?
    • I do not know where to live in Canada. Where do I start?
    • What do I need to have prepared when I arrive in Canada?
    • Can I bring my family pet with me to Canada?
    • Can I bring my car into Canada?
    • I have school aged children, how do I send them to school? 
       
  12. Obtaining Canadian Citizenship
    • When am I eligible to apply for Canadian Citizenship?
    • Do I have to apply for Canadian Citizenship as soon as I am eligible?
    • What are some of the advantages of obtaining Canadian Citizenship?
    • Will my time in Canada before becoming a Permanent Resident count towards my Citizenship application?
    • Will time spent absent from Canada be counted towards my Citizenship application?
    • Will Canadian Citizenship make me eligible to work in the US, Mexico, or Chile?
    • Does Canada recognize dual citizenship?
    • As a Canadian citizen, must I pay Canadian income tax on my worldwide income?
    • I was a Canadian citizen as a child, but have not lived in Canada for many years.  Do I still qualify as a citizen?
    • I had my Canadian citizenship revoked.  How do I obtain a new citizenship?
    • I no longer wish to hold my Canadian citizenship.  What do I have to do?
Specific Canada Immigration Questions
  1. Federal Skilled Workers (Professionals)
    • Do I qualify for a Canada Immigration Visa under the Skilled Worker category?
    • Can I still qualify as a Federal Skilled Worker if I do not have work experience in the 29 qualifying occupations?
    • Can you assess my eligibility under the Skilled Worker category?
    • May I qualify under the Skilled Worker category even if I score less than 67 points?
    • May I be refused under the Skilled Worker category even if I score more than 67 points?
    • Can the Skilled Worker category pass mark change?
    • What happens if the pass mark changes before I receive my Canada Immigration Visa?
    • Under the Skilled Worker category, what does an Application for Permanent Residence in Canada consist of?
    • What documents must be included in support of my Application under the Skilled Worker category?
    • Under the Skilled Worker category, when must I submit my supporting documents?
    • Under the Skilled Worker category, who may be included in my Application?
    • Under the Skilled Worker category, can I submit my Application inside Canada?
    • Can my file be transferred from one Canadian Immigration Office to another?
    • Is work experience a requirement?
    • Does my work experience have to be related to my education in order to be recognized?
    • Is credit given for experience gained during post-secondary studies?
    • Must I have a Canadian offer of employment to qualify as a Skilled Worker?
    • Must my work experience have been accumulated continuously on a full-time basis?
    • Will my application benefit if I have a close relative in Canada?
    • Will I be interviewed by a Citizenship and Immigration Canada Officer?
    • What is a security interview?
    • Is there anything I can do to obtain an interview waiver?
       
  2. Provincial Nomination Program
  3. Business Immigration
    • What is the Business Immigration Program?
    • What documents must I provide in support of my application under the Business Immigration Program?
    • Under the Business Immigration Program, am I required to live in a particular province?
    • How can I qualify under the Immigrant Investor Program?
    • How can I prove that my net worth has been lawfully obtained?
    • As an Immigrant Investor, will I be obliged to work and/or engage in business activities in Canada?
    • When do I, as an Immigrant Investor, commit my investment amount?
    • Will my investment be returned to me if my Immigrant Investor application is refused?
    • What are the main differences between the Federal and Quebec Immigrant Investor programs?
    • How can I qualify under the Entrepreneur Program?
    • Are there conditions attached to a Canada Immigration Visa issued under the Entrepreneur Program?
    • As an Entrepreneur applicant, is an exploratory visit to Canada necessary?
    • As an Entrepreneur applicant, must I submit a detailed business plan?
    • How can I qualify under the Self-Employed Persons Program?
    • As a Self-Employed Person, is an exploratory visit to Canada necessary?
    • Are there any minimum net worth requirements for Self-Employed Persons?
       
  4. Family Sponsorship
    • Who qualifies for a Canada Immigration Visa under the Family Sponsorship category?
    • Who can be included in the Sponsored person's application for a Canada Immigration Visa?
    • Who qualifies as a "Dependent Child"?
    • Must the dependents of the Sponsored person accompany the Sponsored person to Canada?
    • What financial criteria must be satisfied to qualify as a Sponsor?
    • What does "Essential Needs" mean?
    • Can the undertaking to provide "Essential Needs" be shared?
    • What if the Sponsor does not have the requisite financial ability?
    • What other criteria must the Sponsor satisfy?
    • As a Sponsor, what obligations are there toward the Canadian Government?
    • Can the undertaking be revoked or modified?
    • What if the Sponsor does not fulfill the terms of the undertaking?
    • Are there any other agreements that the Sponsor must enter into?
    • What documents must the Sponsor submit?
    • What documents must the Sponsored person(s) submit?
    • Where is the Sponsorship Application submitted?
    • Where is the Sponsored person's part of the application submitted?
    • Are there circumstances that may allow a Sponsored person to apply from within Canada?
    • Can a Sponsored person work or study in Canada if their application is being processed in Canada?
    • Must Sponsored persons and Sponsors attend interviews with Canadian Immigration authorities?
    • How long will the entire Sponsorship Application process take?
    • Can a same-sex partner be sponsored?
       
  5. Canadian Experience Class
    • What is the Canadian Experience Class Program?
    • How can I qualify under the Canadian Experience Class?
    • Can I apply for Permanent Residence under the Canadian Experience Class if I intend to live in the Province of Quebec?
    • Can I still qualify for the Canadian Experience Class if I am temporary resident of Quebec?
    • Does my work experience have to be related to my education in order to be recognized?
    • Is it possible for me to qualify under the Canadian Experience Class without the education requirement?
    • Am I eligible to qualify under the Canadian Experience Class despite having returned to my home country?
    • Can I still qualify for the Canadian Experience Class if I’ve acquired a one-year degree or certificate from an approved Canadian post-secondary educational institution?
    • Can I submit an application for the Canadian Experience Class even if I already have an application for permanent residence active through the skilled worker program?
    • Are my English or French-as-a-second-language courses counted towards my education requirements under the Canadian Experience Class? 
       
  6.  Quebec Skilled Workers
    • What is a Quebec Selection Certificate (Certificat du Sélection du Québec?
    • How is immigrating to Quebec different than immigrating to the rest of Canada?
    • Why are the requirements different for a CSQ than for a Federal Skilled Worker application?
    • If I don’t speak French, can I still obtain a CSQ?
    • If I qualify as a Quebec-Selected Skilled Worker and obtain a CSQ, do I then have to meet the points requirement for the Federal Skilled Worker Program?
    • Who can I include on my CSQ application?
    • How can the Law Firm of Campbell, Cohen assist me with a CSQ application? 
       
  7. Refugee Status
    • Do I qualify for Refugee Status in Canada?
    • Must I have already experienced persecution?
    • What are typical examples of Refugee cases that are accepted?
    • Can my family members be protected with me?
    • How do I know if my Refugee Claim will be accepted?
    • How long do I have to wait until I have a decision?
    • What can I do if I am refused?
    • Do I have the right to work in Canada while my Refugee Claim is processed?
    • Can my children go to school while my Refugee Claim is processed?
    • Can I (and my family in Canada) receive medical treatment while my Refugee Claim is processed?
    • Is it true that Canada has closed its borders to Refugees coming from the U.S.A.?
    • Can I apply for Refugee protection from outside Canada?
       
  8. Temporary Visas
    • What is a Temporary Resident Visa?
    • Does everyone planning to visit Canada require a Temporary Resident Visa?
    • Do I need a Study Permit if I plan to study in Canada?
    • How do I qualify for a Work Permit to work in Canada?

No comments:

Post a Comment